Identify the problem
- Question user and identify changes to computer
- Perform back-ups before making changes
- Inquire regarding Environmental and Infrastructure changes.
- Review System and Application logs
Establish theory of Probable Cause (questions the obvious and if necessary conduct internal or external research based on symptoms)
Test Theory to determine Cause
- Theory confirmed> Next steps to resolve problem
- Not Confirmed> Re-establish new theory or escalate.
Establish plan of action to resolve the problem and implement the solution.
Verify full system functionality, and if applicable, implement preventative measures.
Document findings, actions and outcomes